Saturday, July 26, 2008

Turn it up!

One of the last local music stores is calling it quits. I had read about it and heard a couple of rumors that they were blowing out their inventory at 99 cents a CD.

I admit I haven't set foot in the store for years (or any other music store for that matter)... but made it a point to go there out of a sense of nostalgia and to see if the rumors were true.... 99 cents a CD is a great deal.

I left the store without buying a thing. It's not really the fault of the store... they just can't compete with the internet and the rumors were just that, rumors. Sure they had some deals, but nothing I was interested in...

The stuff I'm interested in, is the stuff I can't buy from iTunes, Amazon, Yahoo Music, Rhapsody, etc. But that's what eBay's for....

I left the music store knowing that I'd probably never set foot in another one again. Was I sad? Not really, I remembered all the time and money I'd spent in music store... sure, there was a bit of nostalgia, but that passed and paled in comparison to how much more is available online.

Yeah, there will always be that album that never made it to CD (Phantom, Rocker, and Slick) - but I have that on vinyl and can digitize that myself and add it to my personal collection on my iPod and Zen Jukebox.

I guess the point is all things must pass, and from my point of view the music world is better for consumers.... you can find almost anything now.

Did I mention the the music store only had a handful of overpriced Blues CD's? It's no surprise really.

Let me just say thanks to all those music stores! You were great and have a special place in my heart. You played a big role in the lives of many, and for that, the world is grateful!

No comments: