Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Before Thought

A monk once sat beneath an old cedar tree and wondered what it meant to be.

He had spent many years studying the great questions.

He had read the philosophers who searched for certainty in the mind, the teachers who searched for liberation in silence, and the poets who searched for truth in the changing world.

One morning, he remembered the words of a philosopher from another land:

I think, therefore I am.

The monk repeated them quietly.

“I think, therefore I am.”

He considered the statement.

It seemed certain.

Thought was happening.

Therefore, someone must be thinking.

Therefore, he must exist.

But the monk was sitting beneath a cedar tree.

And the cedar had never needed to think about its existence.

The stream below the hill did not think about being a stream.

The clouds did not think about being clouds.

A bird landed upon a branch, looked toward the valley, and flew away without ever asking whether it was truly there.

The monk smiled.

Perhaps there was another question.

What remains when I am not thinking?

He closed his eyes.

At first, his mind became louder.

Thoughts arrived like birds startled from a tree.

Memories.

Plans.

Regrets.

Small worries.

Questions without answers.

He watched them.

He did not fight them.

He did not follow them.

He simply noticed.

A thought appeared.

He let it be.

Another disappeared.

He let that be too.

Slowly, something changed.

The thoughts were still there, but they no longer seemed to define the space around them.

There was awareness of the thoughts.

And beneath the thoughts, there was stillness.

The monk opened his eyes.

A leaf was falling.

He watched it descend.

He did not name it.

He did not decide whether it was beautiful.

He did not compare it with leaves he had seen before.

For one brief moment, he saw it as though he had never seen a leaf in his life.

It turned slowly in the air.

Then came to rest upon the earth.

The monk remembered something he had been taught long ago:

Beginner's mind.

Shoshin.

The mind that does not insist that it already knows.

He looked around.

The world seemed suddenly unfamiliar.

Not because it had changed.

Because he had stopped looking at it through everything he already believed about it.

The cedar was no longer merely a cedar.

It was texture, shadow, movement, scent.

The wind was not something called wind.

It was simply coolness against his face.

The stream was not an object flowing toward somewhere.

It was movement.

Light.

Sound.

Continuity.

The monk took a breath.

He noticed the breath entering.

He noticed the breath leaving.

He did not improve it.

He did not control it.

He did not ask whether he was breathing correctly.

He simply allowed breathing to happen.

And for a moment, there was no need to become anything.

No better monk.

No wiser man.

No enlightened person.

No person who had finally solved the mystery of existence.

Only this breath.

This earth.

This moment.

This being.

Then a sudden noise came from the forest.

The monk turned.

A deer stood between the trees.

They looked at one another.

The deer seemed equally surprised.

For several seconds neither moved.

The monk did not try to make the moment meaningful.

He did not think, What a beautiful animal.

He did not think, I must remember this.

He simply saw the deer.

The deer simply saw him.

Then the animal turned and disappeared into the trees.

The monk remained still.

He felt no disappointment that the moment had ended.

Equanimity had begun to make sense.

To be present without demanding that the present become something else.

To receive joy without grasping it.

To receive sorrow without becoming lost inside it.

To let things arrive.

To let things depart.

The stream did not cling to the leaf.

The sky did not hold the cloud.

The tree did not mourn every falling branch.

Everything moved.

Everything changed.

And yet nothing needed to resist the changing.

The monk looked down at his hands.

They were older than they had once been.

One day they would be still.

He knew this.

But strangely, there was no fear in the thought.

He did not need to defeat impermanence.

He only needed to be here while life was here.

A breeze moved through the cedar.

The monk listened.

For the first time, he understood that mindfulness was not concentrating upon life.

It was allowing life to be fully received.

Presence was not holding on to the moment.

It was not leaving the moment.

Equanimity was not indifference.

It was love without possession.

And Shoshin was not ignorance.

It was the willingness to meet existence without insisting that the past tell you what the present must be.

The monk looked toward the mountains.

He thought again of Descartes.

I think, therefore I am.

Perhaps.

But he wondered if there was something even before thought.

Before the sentence.

Before the question.

Before the mind declared I am.

There was simply being.

The thought I am arose within it.

The thought I exist arose within it.

Even the thought I think arose within it.

But being had never needed the thought.

The monk smiled.

Perhaps the deepest truth was not:

I think, therefore I am.

Nor even:

I am, therefore I think.

Perhaps it was simpler.

I am.

And beneath those two words was no argument.

No proof.

No philosophy.

Only the quiet mystery of existence itself.

The monk rose.

He did not know what the rest of the day would bring.

He did not need to.

He walked down toward the stream with the openness of a beginner.

Each step was new.

Each sound was new.

Each breath was new.

And though he had walked this path a thousand times,

for the first time,

he was actually walking it.

Not thinking about being.

Not searching for being.

Simply being.

Here.

 

No comments: