Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sailboats














I've been photographing sailboats for a long time. It's not as easy as it looks. First off they're moving, so I opt for handheld rather than using a tripod.

I like to isolate as few boats in my images as possible. When you're shooting a race boats tend to be in groups, so a little patience and knowing what to expect is required.

A faster ISO setting may help, but I found that I don't like the associated digital noise. What usually works best for me is an ISO of 200, shooting at F10 or F11 with a shutter speed at around 1/350.

Most sails are white, so you want to try and capture detail in the sails without seriously underexposing the rest of the image.

The last thing to keep in mind is your horizon. Keep it level unless it is your intention not to (for artistic and/or dramatic reasons).

Is this a lot to concentrate on while photographing moving objects? Sure, at first. Practice and it will get easier.

No comments: