Saturday, December 1, 2007

A little flash

The yearly winter migration of the Monarch Butterfly is underway. For me, it's always been a bit of a challenge to photograph these critters.

The main reason is that they like to keep to the shadows. Also, you can't get very close as they are some distance up in the trees.

I decided to give it a go and used a flash. To my surprise, my flash threw off enough light to bring out the details of the butterfly's that were in the shadows. Much better results than I've gotten before.

It's still early in the season, so I'm planning on making a few more trips out to photograph them and hope to find greater numbers of butterfly. I'll definitely use a flash from now on.

I'll also head up towards Pismo Beach where there is easier access and you're able to get closer to the butterfly clusters.

No comments: