Saturday, November 1, 2008

Golden Beach


This image is the reason I shoot in manual mode (which isn't the case here). I usually set my aperture and do a test shot in aperture priority mode to see what the camera thinks the shutter speed should be.

What you are seeing here is what the scene looked like, but that's after lots of post processing. I had to bring the exposure up by a stop and a half and add some fill light. All done in Photoshop.

I have shots done in manual mode where I didn't have do this. The test shot told me right away that the camera was underexposing the image. All the more reason for doing it. Test shots quickly get me in the range I want to be in for a certain aperture by either dialing up or down the shutter speeds, or even changing the aperture.

My point here is that you can quickly get better results if you let your camera assist you. Take some test shots and dial in your settings to get the results you're after.

Why did I even bother keeping this shot? HDR - I can use it with other shots I took, but that's another subject.

No comments: