Sunday, December 6, 2009

The way it's supposed to be


These days I find that I'm limited on the amount of shooting that I can do. I don't lament this fact, and actually have been trying to embrace this limitation.

I more or less made a decision to keep going back to the same beach and practice beach shots, and play with lighting conditions.

In the process I've been building up a story. Sort of, "A year in the life of a beach".

Singular images wouldn't say much about the beach, but put them in some sort of chronological order and you'll begin to notice things.

The most obvious being the position of the sun. This alone could tell you the time of the year, but then you throw in things like tides, amount of rocks on the beach, and what the people are doing (hint there are more surfers in Fall and Winter) and wearing, as well as weather patterns and you get a more complete picture.

So, a series of pictures becomes an essay... and the sum of the parts becomes a much bigger picture. Another aspect of photography.

Once last thing, for those who don't think California has Seasons... it does, they're subtle, but even the beaches have them....

No comments: