Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sign of the Times


I'm an admin for a Flickr group called The Great Recession. I started the group so that I could post some images of all the businesses closing up around my town, and there are lots of them.

The news goes on and on about how the recession is over. That's entirely contrary to what I've been seeing. Not a week goes by that I don't see a new or hear about another local business closing up.

It's sad, and certainly indicates, to me, that this recession is far from over. We've got a long way to go.

That's my observation.

I could spend a day just driving around photographing all the closed businesses. As time permits, I plan on doing just that.

It's a bit of a release, and a way of documenting what I consider historic times. This isn't a "normal" recession.

The group has been growing rather quickly. Things are tough out there, and the images say that very poignantly.

Appreciate what you have and help out where you can.

No comments: