Thursday, January 5, 2012

End of Days

End of Days by Damian Gadal
End of Days, a photo by Damian Gadal on Flickr.
Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now... Bob Dylan

I've been thinking a lot about the line about being deceived into thinking we've got something to protect.... other than our freedom (which we seem content on giving away in the name of security)... what are we trying to protect?

I bring this up specifically in terms of talent, creativity, and photography.  Locking away your images because you think someone will steal them is silly, and foolish.

Gifts were meant to be shared, if they aren't shared then they're squandered.  That's why they are called gifts.

So often I get exposed to people arguing about putting images on the internet, and how it's not a good thing, as they'll be stolen.  How?

Sure people might download, use, and enjoy the images... even misappropriate them.  So!

They didn't create them... and that group is so small compared to all who may find pleasure, or even be moved by an image.... not sharing images is lessening the online community, and punishing the many in order to spite the few.

Share!  Make the world a better place!

No comments: