Monday, August 17, 2026

One Grain at a Time

The hallway had grown quiet again.

Edna had disappeared around the corner, her wheelchair moving slowly toward whatever destination her mind had given her. Rosa remained beside the window, watching the carnation bend beneath the wind.

And somewhere beyond the walls, beyond the trees and mountains and the fading afternoon, I stood waiting.

They have called me many things.

Death.

The Grim Reaper.

The End.

But I have never thought of myself as the end. I am only the keeper of what cannot be kept.

In my hands I carried an hourglass.

The glass was old, clear and delicate. Inside, the sand fell one grain at a time.

It always falls.

No hand can stop it.

No prayer can turn it upside down and make the fallen grains climb back toward the beginning.

I watched Edna through the doorway.

She sat alone now, staring at nothing.

Perhaps she was remembering a garden.

Perhaps a husband.

Perhaps a child whose name had become lost somewhere in the vast wilderness of her mind.

Perhaps she was remembering the mountains.

That was what remained longest.

Funny, I thought, how memory disappears in reverse.

Names go first.

Then dates.

Faces become uncertain.

Rooms become unfamiliar.

The stories of a lifetime break apart, their pieces scattered like leaves after a storm.

But the wind remains.

The rain remains.

The smell of earth after rain.

The warmth of sunlight through a window.

The sound of a bird calling from somewhere beyond the glass.

Nature asks nothing of memory.

A tree does not ask Edna to remember its name.

The mountains do not become disappointed when she forgets where she saw them.

The wind simply touches her face and, for one brief moment, she knows it.

That is enough.

I turned the hourglass slightly in my hand.

A little more sand fell.

Rosa looked toward the hallway.

"Where did Edna go?" she asked.

No one answered.

Perhaps she had forgotten that Edna was only a few rooms away.

Perhaps, in some strange way, she had already begun forgetting herself.

I have watched this happen countless times.

People imagine death is the moment when the heart stops.

It isn't.

Not always.

Sometimes death begins much earlier, quietly, almost imperceptibly.

It begins when a person can no longer find their way back to the person they once were.

It begins when yesterday disappears.

When tomorrow becomes meaningless.

When the photographs remain but the stories behind them are gone.

And yet life persists.

A breath.

A heartbeat.

A hand against cold glass.

A flower bending in the wind.

One more sunrise.

One more cup of coffee.

One more moment when someone says your name and you turn because, somehow, you still know it belongs to you.

I looked down at the hourglass.

The sand was nearly gone.

I did not hurry it.

I never do.

Time needs no help from me.

Outside, evening was settling over the garden. The mountains were disappearing into violet shadow, their familiar shapes becoming indistinct beneath the gathering dusk.

A bird called once from the trees.

Edna lifted her head.

For a moment, something awakened behind her eyes.

She smiled.

Not because she remembered the bird.

Not because she knew where she was.

Perhaps she remembered nothing at all.

But the sound had reached some place deeper than memory.

Some place the disease had not yet found.

She listened.

The bird called again.

And for one fleeting moment, Edna was not old.

She was not lost.

She was not alone.

She was simply a woman sitting beneath the evening sky, listening to a bird sing.

I watched the last grains fall.

There is never enough time.

We spend our lives believing there will be more.

Another morning.

Another summer.

Another garden.

Another chance to say what should have been said.

Then one day we discover that the hourglass has been running all along.

The final grain slipped through the narrow passage.

I closed my hand around the glass.

Outside, the wind moved through the trees.

The carnation bent beneath it.

And then, slowly, it rose again.

For now.

Just for now.

 

No comments: