Friday, July 6, 2007

Summer Celebration


Independence Day fireworks. Most people enjoy watching them as is evident by the crowds. I must say they look very different through the viewfinder of my camera.

I get to see some of them and they look great being shot from the beach as they light up the Pacific waters with their reflections for a few seconds.

It's not until after I get home and start to process the images captured by the CCD sensor of my camera that I get to see the show that I attended but didn't really see.

Fireworks happen less often then full moons, so the opportunity to practice taking photographs of them happens two or three times a year at best.

Sure with digital you can make some adjustments while you're shooting based of the feedback of the camera' s little screen. The problem is things are happening very quickly, so there is only so much you can do. Most of your time will be spent pushing down the shutter button.

This year I shot in the F 3.5 - 5.6 range with 2 second exposures. I was pleased with most of the results, but unless I get a wider angled lens and/or find a better location (which would put me in the middle of the harbor) I'm going to get images like this.

I think I'll work on getting the wide angle lens.

No comments: