Thursday, October 25, 2007

The bright side

I've been following the news on the fires in Southern California, as I'm sure many have.

Two things strike me in all of this.

First the way the media interviews people, almost taunting them to just admit that they are victims and somehow it's the all the Government's fault. The surprise and disappointment in the in the reporter's reaction to the answers they've been getting brings me to the second thing I've noticed.

The resolve of Californians in the face of this tragedy. Most got out of harm's way, though they knew they could lose everything. There seemed to be spirit of cooperation in the locations where people we evacuated to. People pulled together, people volunteered, peopled helped each other.

When interviewed by the media, people stated that they were grateful and happy to be alive. They accept the fact that fire is part of life in California. They are already planning to start rebuilding, as early as next week if they can.

I'm not sorry that the media couldn't spin this. I'm very proud that the true character of Californians has been there for the world to see. In the face of a disaster we look at the bright side of things!

No comments: