Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Learning Lounge

Learning Lounge by Damian Gadal
Learning Lounge, a photo by Damian Gadal on Flickr.
Today I cut the cord.... I'm done with cable.  It was only a matter of time I suppose, starting with my brother getting me an Apple TV (1st generation), then came the Roku Box, and getting hooked on streaming from Netflix and Amazon instant video.

Now, with three Roku Boxes, and two Apple TV's, and a newly built Mac Mini media server using Plex, it just made no sense to continue to pay the outrageous prices for cable, and all the channels they serve up that I don't want or watch.

Now, I watch only what I want, and only pay for what I watch, not what I don't watch.  That's liberating.

I've been slowly building a media library in the cloud, and have the infrastructure to deal with proprietary file format and cloud serving annoyances.

I've learned, and was able to do this thanks to technology, and I'm loving it.  It's a freedom that I truly enjoy.

The next step is to build a NAS Synology Media Server and Private Cloud.  That should be easy enough to do with the money I'll be saving by not paying for cable any longer.

We're in the midst of a monumental shift, and we've only just begun.

Gotta love technology! :-)

No comments: