Friday, June 21, 2013

They jump at dawn

They jump at dawn by Damian Gadal
They jump at dawn, a photo by Damian Gadal on Flickr.
I've been digging through my archives to cull some old images for my employer's web project.  This shot is from way back in 2004, and I'm starting to post some even older images.

All taken with older equipment and just sitting in a box on DVDs I burned.  It's good that these images are coming back out to find some use.

What bothers me though, is that I told my employer more than a decade ago that they should build an image/media library and build it up over time.

It's not like storage hasn't gotten cheaper and digital cameras too.  In fact digital cameras are ubiquitous now.  Staff could have built up quite a library by now.

It's been obvious for a long time that digital is here to stay, and that the web and mobile platforms will continue to grow.

There's no excuse to be stuck in analog thinking when it comes to media and presentation, or the dissemination of information for the purpose of public service and communication.

Yet, this is where many organizations are finding themselves, panicked as they try and catch up, and still not thinking ahead. 

No comments: