Sunday, March 26, 2023

Just walk away

One day, a young monk approached his master and asked, "Master, why do people engage in war?"

The master replied, "Why do you ask such a question?"

The young monk said, "I have seen the destruction and suffering caused by war, and I cannot understand why people would willingly engage in such violence."

The master smiled and said, "Imagine two men standing in a vast desert. One man says to the other, 'I want to draw a line in the sand to mark my territory.' The other man replies, 'But why? We are surrounded by endless sand, and there is no one else here to dispute our boundaries.' The first man responds, 'I just want to show that I am stronger, that I can dominate this space.' And so, he draws his line in the sand, and the other man walks away, realizing the futility of the exercise."

The young monk was puzzled. "But what does this have to do with war?"

The master replied, "War is like drawing a line in the sand. It is a pointless exercise that only serves to prove one's strength and dominance. But in the end, it only brings destruction and suffering to all involved. It is only through understanding and compassion that true peace can be achieved." 

No comments: