Thursday, July 26, 2012

Google Plus Photography

Scott Kelby said something interesting on his show The Grid and that is that flickr is dying, and that Google Plus is the brave new world for photographers.

This got me to thinking about it, and I have to say that I don't disagree with his assessment.  I've been very impressed with the digital world that photographers have been building on Google Plus

The imagery is simply stunning, and there's a level of engagement that I've never seen over on flickr.  The Google Plus photography community is friendly, knowledgeable, and inspirational.

This community seems to be growing by leaps and bounds, and my guess is that this is by word of mouth, which is the best kind of endorsement one could wish for.

It's an extremely interactive and encouraging community.  I've watched many a Google Plus Photography hangout in action, and if you don't know what this is, think of it as Skyping with group of your favorite photographers, all willing to share their knowledge and push the art of photography forward.

As much as I like Google Plus, I really don't want to see flickr die.  I've got countless hours devoted to processing and posting images on their site.  I'm hoping that they take the competition as a wake-up call and up their game.  All for the good of the photography community.

The first thing I think flickr can do is beef up the social aspects of their site, and encourage users to share their love of the photographic image.  Right now, the site seems sterile, especially when compared to Google Plus.

Only time will tell how this is going to play out.

Has anyone got any suggestions for flickr?  Feel free to share them in the comments section.

No comments: