Tuesday, July 3, 2012

An open letter to Google

Dear Google:

I was devastated to learn that you're getting rid of iGoogle, actually more than devastated, I feel betrayed.

I'm not blaming you for wanting to focus on products that generate revenue for you, that's what you're in business to do.

It's just that losing iGoogle is a huge blow to many of us who are locked in cubicles and have very little, if any, control over the computing environments we work in.

Our desktops are locked down.  We don't have any say over what software we use or what browsers.  Chrome?  Firefox?  No way!  Try IE7, and Office 2003 running on XP service pack 2... Nope, I'm not kidding.

Watch a YouTube video, even ones that are work related?  Nope... Have to do that on my iPhone.

iGoogle is my connection to the outside world.  It allows me a small slice of individuality, and lets me in a small fashion feel that there's world beyond my cubicle walls (which I call 3:00 A.M. Iowa, because I don't know if it is day or night, sunny or rainy, you'd never know I was steps away from the California coast).

My beloved iGoogle has been a lifeline to me, and I'm sure to many others as well.

From my iGoogle home page I can get my gmail, the weather outside, the time of day, news (how do you think I found out you were killing my beloved iGoolge?), tide information, find out when the sunsets, my calendar, etc.  iGoogle gives me access to things important to me, and to many others.  It is one of the only ways to break free from group think lowest common denominator work environments.

There are thousands of us in this situation, and we have no other options.

It pains me to no end to find out that iGoogle is going away.

It's like hearing your best friend has cancer and only months to live.

Is there any small chance to keep iGoogle around?


1 comment:

L. Francis said...

My friend, I agree with you on this. I wish Google rethink their decision before, November 1, 2013.

Good luck