Thursday, November 8, 2012

Memories Fail Me

Memories Fail Me by Damian Gadal
Memories Fail Me, a photo by Damian Gadal on Flickr.
Oh so soon, the world we knew turns into colorful stories and flights of fancy....  If you've got aging parents I'm sure you can relate.

I've been helping my mom out around her place to cope with what were once simple tasks for her, and to keep things in order.

She lives in a rural area, but don't worry she's being looked after.  I just wanted to relate some of the funnier things she's said lately.

1.  The woman who lived in the house across the street from her had been foreclosed on, and eventually evicted by force.  Long story short, the house needs repairs.  I was up visiting, and my mom was telling me how men had been over to pour new electricity into the walls of this vacant house so that they could sell it.  Shortly after she told me this, a painting crew came to work on the house.  I was told by my mom that they were the ones who poured the electricity.  Okay...

2.  Plumbing troubles.  When I'm at my mom's, I make it a habit to check all appliances, fixtures, washer, dryer, garbage disposal, water heater, and toilets.  It's important to keep things working properly.  On one recent visit, I noticed that one toilet wasn't flushing as it should.  Some extra strength Draino took care of the issue.  I reminded my mom to let me know if she was having issues with the toilet.  She said that "since people have moved in across the street, the problem should stop."  Okay...

3.  Old food.  Folks, if you're helping out an elderly parent make sure that you routinely check the expiration dates on food, and check for science experiments growing in the refrigerator.  The last thing you want is for them to poison themselves.  That being said, my mom buys packaged and canned foods like the rest of us.  You know, corn, soup, pudding, etc.  That stuff has a decent shelf life, but still, you need to check it.  Recently I did just that, pointed out to mom that some of it was expired and that we needed to toss it.  No big deal.  I reminded her that she needs to routinely check this stuff herself.  Well, she said "That food wasn't mine.  People come by sometimes and put food on the shelves or in the refrigerator."  Okay...  So I told her next time she sees those people to let them know we tossed their food.  Really!

I'm just passing along stories, and don't want anyone to get the idea that my mom is neglected.  She isn't.

We're all headed in the same direction folks.  It's called getting old.

No reason why we can't laugh about it....

No comments: