Friday, June 25, 2010

Gmail and iPhones

I was trying to help a friend set-up his new iPhone so that he could sync it with his Gmail. All I kept getting were errors. I adjusted every setting under the sun. No luck. So I decided to look at the google forums.

Imagine my surprise when I read the following:

"Google Sync experienced degraded service today... This resulted in sync delays for mail, calendar, and contacts on all devices. We've worked hard to eliminate those delays and continue our efforts to restore stable service to all users. We will post an update once these issues have be resolved.

These issues coincided with today's release of iOS4 from Apple and reflect additional load due to the upgrade. We are making appropriate adjustments in our service infrastructure. In the meantime, note that Google engineers have tested pre-release versions of iOS4 ad are continuing our certification process with the final build. We'll post an announcement when our tests are complete and if we find any compatibility issues with the upgrade. We recognize the importance of making Google Sync more reliable.

Thank you for your patience as we work through these issues."

Wow, so even Google can't keep up with the load.

Looks like we need more infrastructure than I imagined.

No comments: